Corky Evans: How YOU can help save the ALR in 5 min
Posted May 9, 2014 by Common Sense Canadian in Food
An Open Letter to Almost Everybody:
My name is Corky Evans. I garden and farm in the Kootenays of B.C. Many years ago I was the Minister of Agriculture.
I do not understand popular culture or electronic communication. I have not learned to do Facebook. What I have been told is that when people find something interesting from someone they trust, they send it on to other people and in this way it is possible to engage more people, faster, than ever before.
I have decided that this technology that I do not understand may be the last chance we have to influence the Government of B. C. not to dismantle the historical protection of farmland where we live.
All you need to know
I am not going to try to explain the issue or the history or the legislation that is being debated in Victoria as I write. You do not have to know that stuff to know that food is important and that land to grow food on needs to be protected from being paved over. That is all you need to know. For forty years we have had rules in B.C. that protected farm land pretty well. This week the Government is trying to pass a law that will destroy the protection of farmland.
The Government didn’t think up this idea. They got it from the Fraser Institute. You may have heard of those people. They represent the largestCorporations and Banks in the Province. They are not known for caring a great deal about public policy. They will get richer paving farmland than by leaving it alone.(Evans)
- @ls_gibson Yes! Under current situ we need to ensure Grizzlies survive. To lose is too ugly a heritage...| 1 hour ago
- @althiaraj We all should but... the recent socio-political storms worry us & we don't want to wake up to a disaster| 1 hour ago
- "In the wake of last weekend’s violence in Va., Conservatives “must step up to define ourselves right now as to who… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…| 1 hour ago
- As an avid outdoorsman( not a hunter for record) I'm thrilled. Grizzlies r so rare we need to preserve not manage!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…| 2 hours ago
- RT @LIFE: The Woodstock Music and Art Fair opened on this day in 1969. It became one of the defining events of the 1960s. https://t.co/uPG1…| 1 day ago